Crispy buffalo cauliflower and creamy herb ranch dressing, all rested on a buttered and toasted pretzel bun. Put that on your plate! Okay, I’ve been watching too much Mrs. Maisel. But really, put this on your plate!
I deliberated over what to call this for way too long. Is it a roll? A po’ boy? A… sub? I almost settled on sandwich. But nay, it is no simple sandwich – it is a hoagie! (Still open to suggestions from any sandwich connoisseurs out there.)
Every time I make buffalo cauliflower, I feel like I’m left with SO much batter. I think this recipe makes the perfect amount of batter for a small or medium head of cauliflower.
Serves: About 4 – Prep Time: 10 minutes – Cook Time: 45 minutes
For the Buffalo Cauliflower:
- 1 medium head cauliflower (about 3 cups), chopped into bite-sized pieces
- 3/4 cup plant milk
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons garlic powder
- 2 teaspoons onion powder
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper (optional)
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 cup hot sauce (I like Frank’s RedHot)
- 1 tablespoon vegan butter, melted
- Preheat oven to 450F.
- Whisk together batter ingredients (all but cauliflower, hot sauce, and butter) in a medium-sized bowl.
- Evenly coat each piece of cauliflower in the batter, and place them on a parchment-lined baking sheet, being careful not to let the pieces touch.
- Bake for 20 – 25 minutes, flipping halfway. If the batter is falling off, just bake them a bit longer before flipping.
- Whisk together melted butter and hot sauce. Pour mixture over the cauliflower and lightly toss to coat with tongs or a spatula.
- Bake for another 20 – 25 minutes, flipping again halfway, until crisp.
For the Herb Ranch Dressing & Coleslaw:
Make this while your cauliflower is baking!
- 1 cup vegan mayo
- 3 tablespoons plant milk
- 1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 2 teaspoons dried chives
- 1 teaspoon dried dill
- 1 teaspoon dried parsley
- 16 oz coleslaw mix (one large bag)
- Mix ranch ingredients (all except for the coleslaw) together in an airtight container.
- Stir 1/2 cup of the ranch dressing into the coleslaw mix. Taste and add more dressing or salt/pepper if you’d like. I like having lots of this ranch leftover to drizzle on top of the sandwiches, or just to save for later.
Assemble the Hoagies:
Butter and toast your bread*, scoop in the ranch coleslaw, and top with buffalo cauliflower. Finish with sliced green onions, parsley, more ranch, more hot sauce, or whatever ya fancy. Enjoy!
*You don’t have to use pretzel buns, but Pretzilla makes vegan ones that come in a 4 pack. I’ve been able to find them at Whole Foods and Publix!