It’s almost finger food and funny commercial day! Also I hear there are sports involved. Whether you’re here for the snacks or the football, you’ve gotta make some fun food! Personally, I think no Super Bowl is complete with two things: cheese and beer. Thus, vegan mac & beer cheese bites! These bites definitely make enough to serve a crowd, or for you to have leftovers all to yourself (what I’ll be doing on account of covid).
Makes about 48 bites. Spread out to two mini muffin tins or bake a second batch.
- 1 (16 oz) box cooked elbow pasta, minus 1 cup
- 1 cup soaked cashews
- 1 cup water
- 1/4 cup nutritional yeast
- 2 cloves garlic or 1 teaspoon powder
- 1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
- 2 teaspoons spicy brown mustard
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1 teaspoon ground turmeric
- 1 teaspoon salt, plus more to taste
- Pinch of cayenne pepper
- 3/4 cup beer (lager)
- Grated vegan cheddar cheese
- Preheat your oven to 350F.
- Add all ingredients except for beer to a blender and blend until smooth.
- Pour the cheese sauce into a saucepan with the beer, and heat over medium-low until thick and bubbly (5-10 minutes). Taste and season with more salt if needed. Stir the pasta noodles into the sauce.
- Lightly oil a mini muffin tin and spoon the mac and cheese into each hole. Pack the mac and cheese down tightly with the back of a spoon. Sprinkle some grated vegan cheddar cheese over the tops. Don’t skip this step because the cheddar shreds help keep the tops of the “muffins” together.
- Bake for 30 minutes. Remove and let cool for 10 minutes before gently removing each bite with a butter knife or the handle of a spoon. Repeat until all the mac and cheese is gone and you’re left with lots of mac and cheese bites.
- Serve alone or with a sauce like marinara or ketchup, and enjoy!