Crispy potatoes for breakfast is always a good idea. Combine that with some veggies and your favorite vegan breakfast sausage, and you’ve got one comforting meal!
Sausage not your thing? You can totally sub for black beans or just leave it out entirely in favor of extra potatoes.
Prep time: 10 minutes – Cook time: 20 minutes – Serves about 4
- 3 medium russet potatoes, cut into cubes (about 1/2″)
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/4 yellow onion, diced
- Vegan breakfast sausage of your choice*
- 1/2 red bell pepper, chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon apple cider vinegar
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 tablespoon nutritional yeast
- kosher salt, to taste (about 1/4 teaspoon)
- freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 2 green onions, sliced
*I used 5 links of Field Roast’s Apple Maple Breakfast Sausage (not sponsored, just the truth!)
- Boil potatoes until fork tender, and set aside.
- Warm olive oil in a large skillet/pan over medium heat. Add the onion and cook for about 3 minutes until starting to soften, then add the boiled potato cubes. Crisp the potatoes up for 7-10 minutes, stirring frequently.
- Add the sausage, bell pepper, vinegar, garlic powder, nutritional yeast, and a generous pinch each of salt and pepper. Cook another 5 minutes or so, stirring often, until peppers have softened and sausage is browned.
- Taste and season with more salt and pepper if needed. Add to serving bowls and top with sliced green onions.
- Serve with ketchup, hot sauce, or whatever your heart desires!