This Mexican quinoa is one of my favorite lazy (yet tasty and nutritious) meals! It comes together in about 30 minutes and uses ingredients you likely already have in your fridge and pantry – plus they’re pretty cheap! Hello, Rotel?
You could absolutely make a big batch of this quinoa at the beginning of the week and use it in salads, tacos, burritos, or eat it on its own – it’s an awesome prep-ahead dish! I’ve made variations of this dish over the years, but this is definitely my favorite way to do it.
Serves: 6-8 – Prep Time: 10 minutes – Cook Time: 20 minutes
- 1 tablespoon olive oil (or sauté in water for oil-free)
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 medium onion, diced (I used red but like yellow, too)
- 1 red bell pepper, diced
- 2 cups quinoa, rinsed
- 2 cups vegetable broth (or vegan chicken broth)
- 2 (15 oz) cans black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 (10 oz) can Rotel diced tomatoes & green chilies*
- 2 cups frozen or canned corn kernels
- 2 tablespoons chili powder
- 1 tablespoon cumin
- Salt and pepper to taste
- The juice of 1 lime
*(or try the Rotel HOT tomatoes with habaneros!)
- In a large skillet over medium heat, sauté onion and bell pepper in oil for 5 minutes or until soft.
- Add the garlic and sauté another minute, until very fragrant.
- Stir in quinoa, vegetable broth, black beans, Rotel tomatoes and chilies, corn, chili powder, cumin, salt, and pepper. Bring the mixture to a boil, cover, then reduce to a simmer and cook for 15-20 minutes until quinoa is soft.
- Mix in the lime juice, taste, and add additional salt/pepper to taste.
- Serve and enjoy! I recommend topping with guacamole and salsa, or adding to salads, burritos, or tacos.