Colcannon is a traditional Irish dish of creamy mashed potatoes with crunchy kale or cabbage. This vegan version is perfect for St. Patrick's Day!
- 5 yukon gold potatoes quartered
- 5 tbsp vegan butter 1 reserved for later
- 3 green onions chopped, plus more for garnish
- 3 cloves garlic minced
- 2 cups green cabbage shredded
- 1 cup unsweetened, unflavored non-dairy milk
- kosher salt to taste
- freshly ground black pepper to taste
Quarter potatoes, add to a pot, and cover with salted water. Bring to a boil and cook until fork tender. Drain and set aside.
Over medium heat, melt 4 tablespoons of the butter in a large saucepan and sauté green onion and garlic for 2 minutes. Add the cabbage and cook for another few minutes until tender.
Stir in the non-dairy milk, a pinch of salt, and a few cracks of pepper. Bring to a simmer, then add in the potatoes. Coarsely mash with the back of a fork and season with additional salt and pepper to taste.
Transfer to a bowl, make a small well in the center to place the reserved tablespoon of butter in, and sprinkle extra sliced green onions over top.