Oh man… Have I mentioned my love for sun-dried tomatoes before? Yes? Well I’m gonna say it again – that intense, sweet-tart flavor is everything!
Some lovely sun-dried tomatoes along with sautéed onions and garlic, white wine, baby spinach, and a cashew cream sauce make this vegan pasta dish so creamy and flavorful!
The fusilli pasta really grabs as much of the sauce as possible – it’s awesome.
Cook up this dish and be amazed as your multiple cups of spinach are reduced to what seems like a tablespoon. We’ve all been there, am I right?
Caution: be sure to cook enough for all parties present because your house will be smelling heavenly. Thank you onion, garlic, and sun-dried tomatoes.
Anyways, let’s get to it:
Prep time: 10 minutes – Cook time: 15 minutes – Serves: About 4 people
- 1 cup raw cashews, soaked overnight or use the quick boil method*
- 2 tbsp nutritional yeast
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- 1/2 cup vegetable broth or water (if using water, you may want to add a bit more salt)
- 3/4 cup julienne-cut sun-dried tomatoes in oil, roughly chopped
- 1 tbsp of oil from the sun-dried tomatoes
- 1/2 of one medium yellow onion, finely diced
- 3 – 5 cloves of garlic, minced
- 1/3 cup white wine (I used a vegan pinot grigio)
- 3 – 4 cups of baby spinach
- 1/4 tsp red pepper flakes
- salt and fresh ground pepper, to taste
- 16 oz fusilli pasta, cooked (you could also use bowties, penne, fettuccine, you name it)
- vegan parmesan for topping (optional)
- Begin boiling the water for the fusilli pasta and cook according to package directions.
- Make the cashew cream by blending cashews, lemon juice, nutritional yeast, vegetable broth, and salt/pepper to taste until very smooth.
- Heat oil over medium heat in a large pan and sauté the onion with a pinch of salt. Cook until tender and translucent, about 5-7 minutes.
- Add in the garlic and red pepper flakes and cook for another minute.
- Then, toss in the sun-dried tomatoes and baby spinach, cook for about 2 minutes or until the spinach is wilted.
- Pour in the wine and simmer for a few more minutes until the wine has reduced by half.
- Stir in the cashew cream sauce until combined, taste and add salt and pepper as needed, then add in the pasta noodles and stir again to coat.
- Top with vegan parmesan if you’d like, serve, and enjoy!
*Quick-boiling cashews: If you’re not someone who plans out far enough ahead to soak cashews overnight, you can add the cashews to a small sauce pan, cover with water, and bring to a boil. Once it starts boiling, remove from the heat immediately, cover with a lid, and let sit for 10 minutes to soften.