I’m so excited for warm weather foods now that Spring has sprung! This recipe is full of flavor and texture, and can be customized to your own taste preferences. Personally, I love adding as many fresh toppings as physically possible. These are perfect for a warm night with a cold glass o’ beer (or water – you do you), and remind me of eating fish tacos in the Bahamas when I was younger. Minus the fish now, of course!
Makes about 6 tacos – Cook time: 25 minutes – Prep time: 10 minutes
- 1 16 oz can of chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- Fajita sized tortillas (I like corn)
- Hot Sauce (I prefer Frank’s RedHot)
- Salt to taste (I used about 1/4 tsp)
- 1/4 tsp Garlic Powder
- 1/4 tsp Onion Powder
- 1/2 tsp Olive Oil
- Celery, chopped
- Cabbage Mix or whatever lettuce you prefer
- Vegan Ranch Dressing (Just brand is great)
- Fresh Cilantro (skip it or use parsley if you’re a soap person)
- Fresh Ground Pepper
- Lime Juice
- Optional toppings: avocado, radish slices, green or red onion
- Preheat your oven to 400° F.
- Place drained and rinsed chickpeas on a parchment lined baking sheet (or use a silicone mat if you have one). If they’re still really wet, dab the chickpeas with a towel to remove some of the excess water.
- Toss to coat chickpeas with oil, salt, garlic powder, and onion powder.
- Bake for 20 minutes, making sure to give them a stir halfway through the cooking time.
- Remove from oven and toss chickpeas with hot sauce (about 2 tablespoons), then put them back in the oven to bake for another 5 minutes. Leave them in for a few more minutes if you want the chickpeas to be a bit crunchier.
- Take the chickpeas out of the oven and assemble your tacos with desired toppings. If you like things spicier, you can add some extra hot sauce on top. Grind a bit of pepper and squeeze some lime over the tacos at the end. Enjoy!
My favorite toppings are cabbage, avocado, celery, cilantro, and ranch 🙂